It is a moment that you dread…You look in the mirror and notice something that’s never been there before…It is not just the corners and crannies of your face…There is something else that you see…Wrinkles!
Wrinkles happen to all of us…sooner or later. We cope with them in the best way we can, using face masks and creams. However, many of us want a more permanent treatment for wrinkles. And so we opt for one of the cosmetic treatments for wrinkles under the guidance of a skilled cosmetic surgeon. In this article, we’ll talk about the best treatments for wrinkles on your face.
The best cosmetic treatments for wrinkles include both medications and surgical procedures. Here are some of them…
Medications for Wrinkles
There are some medications available for treatment of your wrinkles. Some of them are:
- Topical Retinoids: These are available on prescription and contain Vitamin A, which may reduce fine wrinkles, splotches, and roughness when applied to the skin. You may need to use the product for several weeks or a few months before you notice the difference. Retinoids can cause temporary itching, burning, redness, and dryness. Retinoids can also cause your skin to burn more easily, so if you are applying retinoids you need to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. You may also need to wear protective clothing to prevent your skin from being burnt by the sun. Before you use a prescription cream do consult with your cosmetic surgeon to find out if it is right for you.
- Non-Prescription Wrinkles Creams: The effectiveness of non-prescription anti-wrinkle cream depends on the ingredients present in the cream. Creams with retinol, antioxidants, and some peptides may result in a slight to moderate improvement in wrinkles. With non-prescription creams the effect is not as long-lasting as with prescription creams, as the former contain less of the active ingredients.
Surgical Procedures and other Techniques
Wrinkles can be treated by a variety of surgical procedures. It has been found that a combination of procedures work best. You need to consult with your cosmetic surgeon to determine the procedure or procedures that are right for you. Some of the best cosmetic procedures for your face are:
- Botulinum toxin type A (Botox): Botox is injected in small doses into specific muscles. This prevents the muscles from contracting and makes the skin appear smoother and less wrinkled. Botox works well on frown lines on the forehead and on crow’s feet on the corners of the eyes. Results are visible in one to three days and the effects typically last for a few months. You need to take repeat injections to maintain results.
- Laser resurfacing: There are two types of laser resurfacing: Ablative and Non-Ablative. In ablative laser resurfacing, a laser beam destroys the outer layer of the skin, which is the epidermis, and heats the underlying skin, which is the dermis. This process stimulates the growth of new collagen fibres. When the wound heals, smoother and tighter skin forms. However, sagging or excessive skin cannot be successfully treated with laser resurfacing. Laser resurfacing can be done as an outpatient procedure under a local anaesthetic. It can take several months to heal from ablative laser resurfacing. Non-ablative laser resurfacing has a shorter healing time and fewer risks when compared with ablative laser resurfacing. Non-ablative lasers are better suited for those with moderate wrinkles, as the results are subtle. Non-ablative laser resurfacing needs to be repeated more often than ablative laser resurfacing. Both ablative and non-ablative laser resurfacing can be done using a fractional laser. The latter has a shorter recovery time.
- Photodynamic rejuvenation: Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is used to treat fine wrinkles caused due to exposure to the sun. You may need several repeat treatments, but recovery from PDT is quicker when compared with laser resurfacing.
- Chemical peel: During this procedure, your cosmetic surgeon will apply a chemical solution to the skin to remove the top layers. The skin that will grow back after applying a chemical peel is much smoother. You may need several treatments depending on the depth of the peel. A difference may be seen only after several treatments and redness can last up to several weeks. Possible side effects include infection, scarring, and darkening or lightening of your skin colour.
- Dermabrasion: This uses a rotating brush to sand down the surface layer of your skin. New skin then grows in its place. You may need to undergo this procedure more than once for results to be visible. Possible side effects may include temporary redness and swelling. It may take several months for the pinkness of your skin to fade and for results to be visible.
- Microdermabrasion: This is similar to dermabrasion but it removes only a fine layer of skin. In order to produce modest results, you may need to undergo several treatments. You may have a slight redness or a stinging sensation in the treated areas.
- Soft tissue fillers:These contain fat, collagen, or hyaluronic acid, which are then injected into the wrinkles on your face. These fillers smooth and plump wrinkles and furrows. You could experience redness, bruising, and temporary swelling in the treated areas. The effect of these products, however, is temporary.
- Face-lift:This involves tightening of the underlying muscles and tissues. Depending on the extent of the procedure, it can be done either in an outpatient facility, or then, in a hospital. Your cosmetic surgeon may use either local or general anaesthesia. It may take a long time for you to heal following a face lift procedure. You may have swelling and bruising for several weeks after surgery. While the results of a face lift last for a long time, they are typically, not permanent. You may have to undergo another face lift after several years.
All of these procedures can have side effects, which is why it is imperative that you choose the right cosmetic surgeon. One such cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive surgeon is Dr. S. Suma, of Prettyu.com, located in Hyderabad, India. She is extremely adept at treating wrinkles and will work with you individually, to recommend the treatment that is best for you.
She is extremely empathetic, besides being skilful and will treat you holistically as an individual and not just as a case. So, the next time you choose to treat wrinkles cosmetically, consult with Dr. S. Suma, and come away, knowing you have made the absolute best choice.
To know more about cosmetic treatment for wrinkles, as well as the other cosmetic and reconstructive surgery procedures that Dr. S. Suma performs, you can get in touch with her at +91 86 86 042 042 or email her at email@example.com or visit her website at www.prettyu.com.
Get to the Prettiest Version of YOU. By the prettiest hands in Hyderabad.