If you’ve gone through one or more pregnancies, you know how your body can change during this time. Even though you may feel young, vibrant, and very fulfilled after childbirth, pregnancy may increase the size of your face, breasts, hips, and stomach. This could lead to a drop in your self-esteem as you struggle to achieve a new body image.
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding affect each woman differently. However, it is possible that you have sagging breasts, excess or stretched skin, separation in your abdominal muscles, and excess weight post-pregnancy and childbirth. Some of the changes that a woman experiences can be due to hormonal changes, which can lead to increased appetite and weight gain.
This is how and where the “mommy makeover” surgery can help. A Mommy Makeover surgery is a combination of surgical and non-surgical procedures that can help restore your body to its pre-pregnancy shape. Some of the typical procedures include a tummy tuck, a breast lift with or without implants, liposuction, and more…In this article, we’ll talk in detail about the mommy makeover…
When you should have a Mommy Makeover
You should discuss with your cosmetic surgeon as to the right time for you to have a mommy makeover. However, there are certain factors that you need to keep in mind before scheduling your mommy makeover surgery.
- You need to be fully recovered from childbirth before you have your mommy makeover surgical procedures.
- If you are considering breast surgery, you should schedule it only after you stop breastfeeding and allow your breasts to return to a stable size and shape.
- Certain non-surgical treatments, such as injections are not recommended while you are breastfeeding.
- You should wait till you are finished having children before undergoing surgical “lift” procedures, such as a tummy tuck, breast lift, or a lower body lift surgery.
- If you plan to become pregnant in the future, you can undergo interim treatments, such as non-surgical body contouring and skin treatments.
- If you are having a surgical mommy makeover, you will not be able to lift anything over 5 to 10 pounds.
- If you have small children, you will need help with child care.
Different Types of Mommy Makeover Procedures
You can opt for both surgical and non-surgical procedures. The surgical procedures can include one, most, or all of the following:
1) Breast Augmentation: This is a cosmetic surgery procedure to increase the size of your breasts using breast implants made of saline or silicone. Your surgeon will enhance your natural proportions as well as make your breasts firmer. The exact procedure will be tailored to each patient’s individual needs.
2) Breast Lift: This restores a perkier, firmer, and more aesthetically-pleasing shape to your breasts. This can not only improve your appearance by restoring your youthful, feminine proportions but will also help bras and swimsuits fit more attractively and comfortably.
3) Tummy Tuck: This tightens and reshapes your abdominal area, helping to achieve a slimmer overall appearance. During this procedure, the abdominal muscles are tightened and excess, sagging skin is removed. This corrects a protruding belly and leaves the midsection flatter and better toned after your pregnancy.
4) Liposuction: This surgery removes excess deposits of fat to sculpt an improved shape to your body. Apart from fat removal, this is one of the best procedures to help you refine your shape post-pregnancy.
5) Feminine Rejuvenation: These procedures help reduce, reshape, or tighten female genital tissues, to help restore a firmer tone and a more youthful, symmetrical appearance. Patients can undergo this for cosmetic reasons, to improve comfort and alleviate problems caused by laxity of the vaginal tissue, such as painful intercourse or stress urinary incontinence.
The non-surgical procedures can include one or more of the following:
1) Non-surgical fat reduction: This includes minimally invasive treatments that selectively break down fat cells in specific areas to reduce fat deposits located under the skin. Some of the techniques include Laser fat reduction, Cryolipolysis, Injectable treatments, Ultrasound, and Red Light Therapy. You should consult with your cosmetic surgeon as to the procedure that is best for you.
2) Skin tightening treatments: These work by using targeted energy to heat deeper layers of the skin. This stimulates the formation of elastin and collagen, thereby gradually improving skin tone and texture. Ultrasound and Radiofrequency are just two of the procedures used as skin tightening treatments. You should ask your cosmetic surgeon as to the procedure that will work for you.
3) Cellulite reduction: These procedures effectively address the structural causes of cellulite, helping to reduce the characteristic dimpling. They restore a firm, smooth texture to skin affected by cellulite. Some of the techniques include Laser cellulite reduction, Non-laser treatments, such as ultrasound and radiofrequency, Mechanical cellulite reduction, and Massage and topical creams.
4) Non-surgical feminine rejuvenation: These treatments use highly-focused energy, either radiofrequency or laser, to cause tissue contraction and promote collagen production in the vulvovaginal tissues.
5) Injectables, such as Botox and Dermal Fillers: Botox injectables are used to treat wrinkles and sagging skin, by injecting Botox, typically in and around the face. Dermal fillers are gel-like substances that are injected beneath the skin to restore lost volume, smooth lines, soften creases, and enhance facial contours. It is important that you discuss these procedures in detail with your cosmetic surgeon.
6) Skin resurfacing treatments: This helps restore a beautiful and more youthful complexion by removing the most damaged and outer layers of the skin. This reveals the healthier-looking skin underneath and encourages new and healthy skin cell growth. Skin resurfacing treatments include Laser skin resurfacing, Chemical peels, Microdermabrasion, Dermabrasion, Microneedling, and IPL Photorejuvenation. You should have a detailed consultation with your cosmetic surgeon to choose the procedure or combination of procedures that would work for you.
What to expect after a Mommy Makeover With mommy makeovers being tailored to an individual’s needs, surgery protocols and recovery times vary. However, you should discuss your recovery time with your surgeon. Many patients have their procedures when their children are very young. This enables them to get back to their desired appearance sooner but requires careful planning as to childcare during and after recovery.
Most surgical procedures restrict lifting for about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. You will need to make arrangements for childcare during this time, including the lifting of children. Your results will be finalized depending on the type and extent of surgery that you have undergone. Typically, most women feel confident and comfortable wearing a swimsuit within 3 months after surgery.
When performed by a qualified and skillful surgeon, a mommy makeover can be a lasting and rewarding procedure. Dr. S. Suma, of Prettyu.com, is one such surgeon. She is a plastic, cosmetic, and reconstructive surgeon and comes with impeccable credentials. Apart from her credentials, she is an empathetic and skilled communicator. She understands your reasons for undergoing a mommy makeover and will make the process as painless as possible.
She will work closely with you, before, during, and after your mommy makeover surgery to ensure that you get the body you want when you want it. So, if you are planning a mommy makeover, look no further than Dr. S. Suma, knowing that you are in the right hands, now and in the future.