Have you ever seen your hair resting on the pillow or floor? Of course yes, everyone has experienced it. It would be irritating and frustrating when we see our hair falling. And immediately we start following a few remedies in order to control it. Eventually, we fail. That is when we get an option of choosing a hair transplant. In this blog, we will have a look at Hair Transplant Procedures and which is better, and many more…
A hair transplant is a surgical technique in which hair is transplanted to a bald region of the head by a plastic or dermatological surgeon. The surgeon frequently moves hair from the back or side of the head to the front or top of the head.
Hair transplants are often performed while the patient is anaesthetized at a medical clinic. Pattern baldness accounts for the majority of hair loss. When it comes to pattern baldness, it is nothing but the permanent loss of hair from the scalp, causing baldness. Pattern baldness, commonly known as Androgenic Alopecia, can affect both men and women. This pattern of baldness is pretty regular in males over 50, and in women, it begins in their 20s, but symptoms may appear in their 40s, 50s, and beyond.
Male Pattern Baldness
Male pattern baldness is baldness caused by a persistent loss of hair on the scalp in men. It occurs as a man's hormone levels fluctuate during his life.
The causes of male pattern baldness, includes
- Unhealthy diet
- Thyroid conditions
- High release of sex hormones called androgens
Female Pattern Baldness
Women are less prone than males to grow fully bald, but thinning is widespread. Female pattern baldness is classified into three categories:
Type I: This is when there is some thinning around the hair part.
Type II: The section is widened and thinning is increased around it.
Type III: The third type of pattern baldness includes scalp thinning, with a see-through at the top.
Causes of female pattern baldness includes,
- Unhealthy diet
- Medication side effects
- Changes in hormone levels caused by pregnancy or menopause
And Did you know? According to the latest studies conducted, Almost 85% of men and 40% of women are affected by hair loss, and Hair restoration provides an opportunity for a fuller head of hair.
Hair transplant, also known as Hair Replacement or Hair Restoration, is the best solution to restore your thinning hair. Hair transplants are successful treatments for restoring hair growth after a variety of reasons of hair loss. The success rate of hair transplant surgery is determined by various factors, including the surgeon's expertise and experience and the donor hair's thickness.
According to the studies conducted by ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) hair transplantation can offer a modest change in the fullness of hair.
There are 2 popular methods of hair replacement:
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation)
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction)
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) Surgery is also known as Follicular Unit Strip Surgery (FUSS) or Strip Method. In this procedure, your surgeon will extract a strip of skin from a non-balding region known as the donor area and individually transplant it in incisions to the balding spots using sutures. Next, they will use a microscope to split the donor skin into small follicular units containing one or more hair follicles and put these units in the appropriate location.
FUT or FUSS is highly recommended for people who are looking for the maximum fullness from the hair restoration. And FUT is the best solution for the patient who is experiencing significant baldness around the crown area. So let’s have a look at the advantages of FUT.
Advantages of FUT
- Recovery Time is Controllable: The recuperation period after a FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) surgery is generally between 10 and 12 days. This is because of probable swelling where the scalp strip was removed; some patients have reported that there are higher degrees of discomfort with FUT compared to other treatments. In such cases, and such instances, pain medication is recommended.
- Higher Rate of Follicle Survival: FUT harvests hair from the mid donor zone, where the majority of the hair is permanent. As a result, individuals with limited donor hair availability are frequently suggested for FUT therapy. FUT meticulously harvests follicles while leaving the protective tissue intact, resulting in more robust and higher-quality transplants.
- Subsequent sessions resulted in no further scarring: Regardless of how many treatments you are going through, you will be only left with one scar.
- Natural-Looking Results: The FUT treatment results in a very thin, linear scar that is no more than 1mm in diameter. This allows it to blend in with the surrounding hair, making it nearly unnoticeable.
The success rate of Follicular Unit Transplantation surgery is as high as 95 - 98% can be performed by a medically qualified specialist. And one thing you have to keep in mind is that it is usual for transplanted follicles to fall out before growing new permanent follicles—this is part of your hair's natural lifespan and transplant procedure.
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction)
Follicular Unit Extraction is another type of hair transplant, where a small punch instrument will be used by the surgeon to retrieve follicles from the donor location. Although some scarring will result from this operation, it will be less visible, and the client will likely not require sutures. In this type, each follicular unit is extracted straight from the scalp without needing a strip of tissue removed.
FUE is an excellent alternative for individuals who are ineligible for FUT due to a lack of hair in the donor region or a soft scalp. Because the hair is transplanted from a donor location at the back of the head, it is also dependent on the density and stability of your hair in that area.
Advantages of FUE
- Less Scarring: In contrast to FUT transplants, which remove strips from the scalp, FUE scars are microscopic and spread throughout your scalp, making them impossible to notice without careful scrutiny – even for patients who want short haircuts.
- Fast Recovery: As this FUE procedure does not need skin grafts or stitches, you may resume your typical activities within a few days. And because the FUE transplant process is less invasive, you won't feel any discomfort afterwards.
- No Pain: The FUE technique, like a trip to the dentist, employs local anaesthetic to guarantee little discomfort throughout the process. However, because FUE transplants are minimally invasive, many patients report little or no pain during or after the treatment.
- Unparalleled Outcomes: As the hair follicles are harvested and evaluated, only healthy follicular grafts are used, resulting in excellent outcomes and a more distinct hairline or larger head of hair.
Another study's results, according to a credible source, combining platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment with FUE improves the success rate of FUE hair transplants. After 6 months, all PRP group participants experienced more than 75% hair regrowth. As a result, they improved faster in terms of hair density and skin healing than the non-PRP group.
Finally, the finest hair restoration treatment is the one that works best for you. FUE and FUT can both enhance your hairline and provide you with a fuller head of hair.
Because of the benefits of FUE hair transplant, the FUE process is efficient for hair restoration. Most persons with thinning hair are suitable candidates for FUE hair transplantation, but there must be enough donor hair available. For further details, contact us