As you age, the shape of your face changes dramatically. Fat builds in the neck, your skin begins to sag, and your jaw muscles start to shrink. This means that your jawline may become less defined. While these changes are perfectly natural, they are not inevitable.
You can perform certain exercises that can help define your jawline. Exercising your neck, chin, jaw and other facial muscles can result in sharper cheekbones and a more prominent and sharply defined jawline. One research study found that exercising your facial muscles regularly for 20 weeks resulted in fuller cheeks and a more youthful appearance. In this article, we’ll introduce you to several facial shape exercises you can do for a perfect jawline and facial shape…
- Neck Curl-Up: This exercise activates neck muscles that are rarely used. You should take it slowly and stop the minute you experience pain. You should lay down on your back and press your tongue to the roof of your mouth. Then, you should bring your chin to your chest, lifting your head about two to three inches off the ground. Finally, you should slowly lower your head down and repeat.
- Vowel Exercises: This exercise encourages you to sound out vowels and stretch your mouth, thereby targeting the muscles around your lips. You should open your mouth to make the “O” sound. You should exaggerate the vowel sound in order to tighten your muscles. After this, you should open your mouth to make an exaggerated “E” sound. You can then repeat the “O” and “E” sounds.
- Collarbone Backup: This exercise gives a workout to the muscles under your chin that support your jaw. You should sit down on the floor or in a chair. Then, bring your head back several inches until you feel the muscles on the side of your neck contract. You should do this while keeping your chest as still as possible and ensuring that your ears stay over your shoulders. You should keep your chin parallel to the floor as you move. Finally, repeat the same motion, but this time, push your head forward.
- Chin-Up: This exercise lifts up the facial muscles in the lower half of the face, including your jaw. First, close your mouth and slowly push your jaw forward. Then lift up your lower lip and push up. You should do this till you feel the muscles in your chin and jawline stretch. You should stay in this position for about 10 seconds, before repeating the exercise.
- Tongue Twister: This exercise targets the muscles below the chin and tones the jawline. First, you should place your tongue at the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth. Then, press your tongue firmly against the roof of your mouth to create some tension. Finally, hum and make a vibrating sound to activate your muscles.
- Fishy Face: This exercise works on all areas of the cheeks simultaneously. You should purse your lips while sucking in your cheeks to resemble a fish face. While in this position, you can try to push the outer corners of your lips into a smile. You can hold this position for 10 seconds and then relax.
- Puffy Face: This exercise gives the muscles of the upper and middle portions of your cheeks a good workout. You should puff your cheeks with air with your lips closed. You should then move this air from one cheek to another while holding the air in each cheek for about five seconds.
- Smiling: This is an excellent exercise for your face. You need to smile widely with your mouth closed. Your lips should not be parted. After you hold the smile for 10 seconds, you should bring your face back to the relaxed position. This will uplift the structure of your face and jaw.
However, when doing all of these exercises, it is important to keep it slow. This is because the muscles along the neck and jaw are relatively underdeveloped. This means that going too fast or doing too many reps can cause neck strain. If you feel any pain during these exercises, you should stop them straight away. Ensure that your neck is properly aligned. However, if the pain persists, you should consult your cosmetic surgeon.
Ideally, you should perform this facial exercise for your jawline for about 30 minutes each day for six days a week to see significant results. However, it is best if you begin to exercise for only about a few minutes a day and then work your way up. If you perform these exercises too vigorously, you could damage the bone or cushioning cartilage in your jaw joint, resulting in pain and jaw injuries. Before you begin these exercises you can check with your cosmetic surgeon if these exercises are right for you.
Besides these exercises, you can also undergo cosmetic surgery to get that perfect jawline. Jaw surgery, also called Orthognathic Surgery, realigns the jaw and corrects irregularities of the jaw bone. This significantly improves your facial appearance.
If you want that perfect jawline, you need to choose the right cosmetic surgeon. One such cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive surgeon is Dr. S. Suma, of Prettyu.com, based in Hyderabad, India. She is extremely adept and will work closely with you to give you that perfect jawline. She will also encourage you to perform these exercises the right way, to improve your facial appearance.
So, if you believe you can have a better jawline with well-defined facial contours, do consult with Dr. S. Suma and rest easy, knowing that you are in very safe hands.
To know more about jawline and facial surgery, as well as the other cosmetic and reconstructive surgery procedures that Dr. S. Suma performs, you can get in touch with her at +91 86 86 042 042 or email her at email@example.com or visit her website at www.prettyu.com.
Get to the Prettiest Version of YOU. By the prettiest hands in Hyderabad.