Breast Enhancement, Breast Augmentation or Augmentation Mammoplasty all mean the same thing. It is surgery that increases the size, shape, and fullness of your breast. During this breast enhancement procedure, the surgeon places a breast implant under the chest muscles or breast tissue.
Breast enhancement is done to enlarge naturally small breasts; to restore breast size and shape after weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding; to restore symmetry when the breasts are asymmetrical, and to restore the breast or breasts after surgery.
Plastic surgery for breast enhancement includes reconstructive surgery and cosmetic surgery. Reconstructive surgery may be done as part of the treatment for breast cancer. Cosmetic breast surgery is usually done for aesthetic purposes. Breast enhancement surgery is usually cosmetic surgery.
A University of Florida study in 2007, found that breast enhancement surgery resulted in an increase in self-esteem among women who have had this surgery, as well as a boost in their feelings of sexuality. In this article, we’ll talk about some of the details of breast enhancement surgery.
Types of Breast Implants
There are three main types of breast implants:
- Saline implants: These are filled with a sterile, saline solution, like salt water. This solution is contained within an elastomer silicone shell. These implants can be filled with differing amounts of saline solution. This affects the firmness, feel, and shape of the breast. If the saline implants leak, the solution will be absorbed by the body and expelled naturally.
- Silicone gel-filled implants: These consist of a silicone outer shell, which is filled with silicone gel. If this implant leaks, the silicone will either stay in the shell or then, leak into the breast implant pocket. After leaking, this kind of implant may or may not collapse. An MRI or Ultrasound scan can check the condition of the implant.
- Alternative composite implants: These implants may be filled with soy oil, polypropylene string, or some other material.
Breast Implant Choices
There has never been a better choice to undergo breast enhancement surgery. Today, you have more breast enhancement surgery choices than ever to customize your new look. Here are some choices you can opt for when undergoing breast enhancement surgery.
- Filling type: Breast implants can be Saline, Silicone Gel, or Highly Cohesive Silicone “Gummy Bear” implants. While neither is “best”, you need to consider some differences in cost, feel, and incision requirements. You should certainly consult with your cosmetic surgeon to find the one that is best for you.
- Shape: Saline and Silicone Gel implants are typically round, whereas gummy bear implants come in both shaped and round options. Round implants will result in a fuller upper pole, which is the top portion of your breast. Shaped implants will result in a gentle, sloping look to your breast profile. If you have a skilled cosmetic surgeon, both will look very natural.
- Profile: Your cosmetic surgeon will help you choose the right profile based on your existing proportions and your goals. If you have a more petite frame, you will require a higher profile implant. This will achieve the desired size increase and will also ensure that the implants are not too wide at the base.
- Size: Breast implants range in size from 150 cc to 800 cc or larger. Many patients require a different-sized implant for each breast to help achieve the best possible symmetry. The size you choose depends on your personal goals, your existing breast size, and the recommendations from your cosmetic surgeon.
Incision options for Breast Enhancement Surgery
If you have opted for a skilled cosmetic surgeon, she will place the incisions in such a way that the resulting scars are hidden and inconspicuous, even to the patient herself. Depending on your body frame and your desired outcome, your cosmetic surgeon will use one of the following incisions to place your breast implants.
- Inframammary: This involves a small incision made in the crease under the breast, which is called the inframammary fold. This leaves a thin scar, about 1 or 2 inches that is easily concealed under the crease. This type of incision can help your surgeon have a wider access point, thereby allowing her to place larger silicone implants, or gummy bear implants with precision.
- Peri-areolar: This incision is made around the outer edge of the areola. The resulting scar is located within the pigmentation of your areola. Your cosmetic surgeon will use this incision type if she is performing a mild to moderate breast lift at the same time.
- Trans-axillary:This is a small incision made within the armpit. Through this, your cosmetic surgeon will place the breast implant, using a specialized camera and instruments. Both of these ensure optimal placement. This leaves a small scar within the armpit but no scar on the breast itself.
- Transumbilical: This involves an incision just above the belly button. Each breast implant is inserted through this incision and is then brought up to the breast. This technique results in a single scar but no scarring on the breast itself.
While a breast enhancement surgery yields larger breasts straightaway, the final results will take a few weeks, as the swelling subsides and the skin stretches. Some patients may need to wear a bandeau (a support garment) to help shape their breasts. This is especially so if you have underlying asymmetry or small breasts to begin with. Incision lines may take a few months or even a couple of years to fade.
Over time, the breasts you have after breast enhancement surgery may change due to weight fluctuations, aging, hormonal factors, and gravity. If this happens, many patients opt for a breast lift or an implant exchange to restore that youthful contour to their breasts.
While there are different techniques for breast enhancement and different types of breast enhancement surgery, each has certain risks. This is why it is imperative that you choose the right cosmetic surgeon for your breast enhancement surgery. Dr. S. Suma, of Prettyu.com, based in Hyderabad, India, is one such cosmetic, plastic, and reconstructive surgeon.
She is extremely skilled at breast enhancement surgery, and is extremely empathetic as well. She will consult with you patiently and will understand your need to get breast enhancement surgery. She will also prescribe the breast implant that is right for you.
She will work with you before, during, and after breast enhancement surgery to ensure that the procedure is as painless and stress-free as possible. So, if you are thinking of getting breast enhancement surgery done, do not hesitate to contact Dr. S. Suma and embark on a journey to a new you, in the easiest way possible!
To know more about breast enhancement surgery, as well as the other cosmetic and reconstructive surgery procedures that Dr. S. Suma performs, you can get in touch with her at +91 86 86 042 042 or email her at email@example.com or visit her website at www.prettyu.com.
Get to the Prettiest Version of YOU. By the prettiest hands in Hyderabad.